Collection Metadata Services Manager
|Salary:||Salary £35,750 per annum|
|Vacancy Group:||Chief Librarians Portfolio|
Full Time, Permanent,
The British Library has a vacancy for a Collection Metadata Services Manager in its Collection Metadata department. Collection Metadata is responsible for co-ordinating the development and implementation of appropriate bibliographic standards, systems and related policy to assist the BL in meeting its strategic objectives. As the Collections Metadata Services Manager you will manage and develop the metadata transformation, production and support activities required for the efficient delivery of the Library's collection metadata services to internal and external users, including the automated metadata upgrade processes supporting workflow efficiencies in metadata production. You will also manage and negotiate external contracts for the supply of metadata in compliance with the BL's Metadata Strategy. You will be expected to contribute to other initiatives and strategic priorities of the department as required. The post is full time and based in Boston Spa.
The ideal candidate will have:
• Demonstrable knowledge and understanding of complex technical data processes and an ability to exploit current technology to enhance and improve services
• In-depth understanding of the requirements of customers of BL data and a demonstrable commitment to customer support
• Strong IT skills and in-depth knowledge of library systems and metadata structures
• An understanding of XML, XSLT and QA tools for the effective mark-up of metadata
• Excellent written and oral communications skills particularly when liaising directly with BL colleagues at senior level together with an ability to communicate complex information, and novel ideas, clearly and concisely
• Good staff/performance management skills with an ability to lead and work effectively in a collaborative matrix management environment
• An ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines and clearly identify priorities
• Excellent analytical, organisational and project management skills
• Self-motivated and flexible with a proactive and energetic approach to developing the role
• A strong team player, with a flexible approach to their role and that of others
As one of the world’s great libraries, our duty is to preserve the nation’s intellectual memory for the future and make it available to all for research, inspiration and enjoyment. At present we have well over 170 million items, in most known languages, with three millionnew items added every year. We have manuscripts, maps, newspapers, magazines, prints and drawings, music scores, and patents. We make our collections and programmes available to all. We operate the world’s largest document delivery service providing millions of items a year to customers all over the world. What matters to us is that we preserve the national memory and enable knowledge to be created both now and in the future by anyone, anywhere.
In return we offer a competitive salary and a number of excellent benefits. Our pension scheme is one of the most valuable benefits we offer, as our staff can become members of the Alpha Pension Scheme where the Library contributes a minimum of 20.6% (this may be higher dependant on grade. Another significant benefit the Library provides is the provision of a flexible working hours scheme which could allow you to work your hours flexibly over the week and to take up to 5 days flexi leave in a 3 month period. This is on top of 25 days holiday from entry and public and privilege holidays.
For further information and to apply, please visit www.bl.uk/careers quoting vacancy ref: 03985
Closing date: 06 February 2022
Interview date: TBC
We are able to provide sponsorship under the UK Skilled Worker visa for this role, as it does meet the eligibility criteria required for this immigration route
We are a Disability Confident employer, and make a commitment to recruit and support disabled people. We guarantee an interview for disabled candidates who meet the minimum (essential) requirements for a vacancy